Beloved Sociopath

Talk about HBO's drama, The Wire, from the creator of Homicide and The Corner, David Simon

Moderator: specifik

Beloved Sociopath

Postby specifik » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:35 pm

To me Stringer, Poot, Avon, and all those conscience-free businessmen are the real sociopaths, but when the DA used that word to describe Omar during her interview in episode 18, I got to thinkin'....
No justice, no peace, until there is an official HBO thread for Brandon Wright.
specifik

Postby Sweetsmile » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:49 am

Stringer Bell is beyond 'sociopath'. He is 'Iago', a Murder Addict.

Just look what he has done 'to' D'Angelo! ! ! ! Now EVERYONE
and their parent will think that, based on his action, Bell wanted
the BEST for their 'D'. Constantly telling Avon that 'something
has to be done for . . . since he has been 'holdin it down'
for us
'! ! ! ! !

Who does he think he's kidding . . . the entire Barksdale Régime! !

Well maybe not all . . . Brianna! ! ! Careful Stringer . . . 'she' has a
very, very MEAN bite! ! !
Sweetsmile

Postby specifik » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Cheap trick - reviving a thread with a cool title. But I stumbled upon this great excerpt and needed a place to post it. By the time I was 18 I'd read every W.H. Auden poem that my limited circumstances could afford me. I've started reading the poetry of my youth, which runs the gamut from Howl to Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening.

Is this not Omar to his lover?

A solitude ten thousand fathoms deep
Sustains the bed on which we lie, my dear;
Although I love you, you will have to leap;
Our dream of safety has to disappear.

W. H. Auden
specifik

Postby specifik » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Just an update on rumors - and an awesome FINE picture of Omar all Omar'd up.

http://www.afterelton.com/bgwe/12/14/7? ... ment-31157

There's a fella named Big Mike on the yahooWire group who posted a bunch of amazing photos taken at a Wire picnic. I'll post the link later, but you can also find it here somewhere. I think I've mentioned Jim King's worthy group many times on this board.
specifik

Postby specifik » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:26 pm

I really hate Television Without Pity because they kicked me off for pimping my fan fiction (and now they HAVE fan fiction, whatever) so I've resisted their sudden discovery of The Wire, and subsequent recaps. But today - I find myself lollygagging in front of a computer, but not my computer, and so I went and uh, read the recaps for Season 1. And the recaps are decent, but not great (the fucking idiot recapper never bothers to learn Bailey's name, and decides to call him Dylan through-out the entire recap.) But I tell you, reading the saga of OBB from a new perspective just about brought a tear to my eye. At least the recapper bows down fully to the great glory of The King a Cheese.

Now I can't wait to get home and pop in S1 from Ep3 and on. And then maybe skip to S3, once I figure out which episode Stringer gets got.
specifik

Postby specifik » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Ahh, a nice article that finally mentions MKD2's Brandon (Mr.) Wright from S1.

Leave us not forget that the Baby Boi is also a beloved sociopath.

http://tinyurl.com/2aogtz

I wish somebody would pm me or something and tell me RIGHT NOW if Omar survives in the end, because all of the hints and ah-hems seem to suggest otherwise.

Perhaps now is the time for me to compose my thesis about why Omar is the cog around whose wheel the Wire universe turns.

afterthought: I haven't seen S5 E2 yet. I've barely been home this week and I'm going away this weekend, possibly w/o access to the internets.
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 am

From Salon, I think. I've been trollin' and patrollin' the internets for Omar spoilers and boy am I sorry I did. Apparently ep 5 or so is horrendous for the land a cheese. Not saying Omar leaves this mortal coil forever, but some bad things do happen, if the spoilers are true. I had to re-read this article a few times before I understood the writer is NOT saying Omar gets taken down, just that there's an inevitability to it.

I've said before that Omar should survive because it's natural in the mode of heroic myth. And in that mode, even should he die, he'll be THE character everyone remembers about The Wire, for ever and ever and ever, amen.

But I"ll be mothurfucking crushed like you won't believe. I'd have to call in sick for work. Have to be in mourning for a day or so. Have to avoid anything even mentioning David Simon's name for the rest of my life. And there WILL be immortalizing fanfic, oh yes there will.

Anyway, if none of this makes sense, gimme a break - it's 3 am and I'm trying really hard not to watch On Demand and I still haven't finished my homework, which at this point seems of no importance. (But trust me, it is.)

"Marlo's biggest threat may come from Omar (Michael Kenneth Williams), a vigilante who seems to represent the reckless but still principled justice of those unconstrained by a poisoned bureaucratic system. Omar may be one of the most moving characters ever created for the small screen: He's a killer who follows a strict code, has undying loyalty to his closest allies, and ruthlessly hunts down his foes. He's smart, scary and unabashedly open about his homosexuality. Omar embodies the rage and frustration of this broken city, and only Omar has the freedom to kick ass and take names with impunity -- at least until he's taken down by one of his countless enemies. Even though that seems inevitable in the show's final season, loyal viewers may have the biggest investment in seeing Omar survive. As the city falls to pieces over and over, only a criminal like Omar can remain uncorrupted and heroic in his own twisted way."
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:04 am

specifik

Postby specifik » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:17 pm

HOLY KRAKATOA EAST A JAVA! This tickles my socks off!!!!!

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/brianjue ... ment=32119
specifik

Postby specifik » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Maybe MKW will campaign for Barack Obama! Oh man, that would be unbelievable.

Last night I was watching the Democratic debate in Nevada, and while I'm really sorry that Kucinich lost his bid to appear, I have to say there was a lot to be gleaned from being able to listen to three voices in the space of two hours. Had DK been there, I think he would have been interrupting constantly just to remind the motherfuckers that he was even there, and that would be distracting.

But anyway, I digress...as I'm watching, my daughter walks by, pauses for a while, asks me if I'm still mad at Obama, and I said, apropos of nothing, that his favorite show is The Wire. She said, uh-huh, so you like him now.

Well, after reading that he is a member of the Land a Cheese, I'd have to say - uh-huh!

Can I be bought simply on the basis of a fictional character's overwhelming charisma?

Am I that shallow?

Who fucking cares: OMARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! (please don't kill him)
specifik

Postby specifik » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 pm

One FAN-fucking-tastic blog about The Man:

http://www.magusisoup.com/2008/01/wire.html
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Because I've nothing to say, I'm posting an old fanfic about Shakima on patrol. It's on the fanfic section of the forum but, you know how it is. In lieu of a Hallmark Card...

Every day a mission into the heart of darkness. Noah in an empty boat, not about to wait for rain.

Every mission a chance for redemption - not for herself, she was guiltless. But maybe she could curry a little favor from God, and delay Apocalypse one more day, saving the world one motherfucking wretch at a time.

Kima the Gladiator, the Arch Angel, the Crusader, the Princess Charming, Don Kima FuckQuing-xote rode her SUV into the insane heart of darkness nearly every night, ever on the look-out for a soul to avenge.

Take Omar’s boy for instance. They didn’t have to do him like that. The economy of mercy dictated that when he was no longer of use to them, come the swift bullet to the brain. It wasn’t in their nature to leave it at that, so they killed him, and they resurrected him, then they killed him twice and brought him back again just so they could kill him even worse than the first two times.

Kima couldn’t imagine the pain.

Even sadder: she couldn’t imagine the love that would transcend such pain.

But she was familiar with the hatred, and knew it may as well have been her, some other time, some other circumstance.

Maybe someday it would. She hoped she’d acquit herself as well for the one she loved, but she doubted it. She certainly couldn’t imagine it.

She couldn’t sleep at night anyway, so the heart of darkness was as good a place as any to ice her raging heart.

And she wasn’t very good company for those left home alone, who didn’t need saving, didn’t ask for it, didn’t want it, wouldn’t take it if offered.

So she trolled the insane heart of darkness with a mission of revenge, today on behalf of Omar’s loss. Tomorrow: maybe somebody else’s. Every day brought the opportunity for atrocity. Every atrocity brought the opportunity for leveling the playing field, one motherfucking wretch at a time.

But tonight was for Brandon, forever young and almost beautiful still in death, for she’d seen the corpse, oh yes. She had to look, because she knew one day that may be her lying there, murdered five or six times over because of some irrational hatred, and she needed to see what that looked like. She needed to imagine her own face of death over the face of one who surely died for love.

Lotta ghosts in her line of work. Some of them are bound to linger for awhile, but they do all go away.

God, boogeymen and angels, walking side by side, with Kima their lonely witness.

Sometimes driving around the darkened junk-filled streets she’d hear a ripping in her brain, but it always went away before she could identify why it seemed so familiar. That deju vu of pain - if she’d only known it was just the wretches’, now ghosts, parting sighs.
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

My grief is exquisite. That's why I'm posting the link to Heaven and Here's description of why it shouldn't have been, because I believe the blogger shares in the level of our exquisite pain.

http://heavenandhere.wordpress.com/
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Oh, one other thing about his blog. He's included a picture from the shoot out in The Wild Bunch. This is more significant than maybe even the blogger realizes, because I seem to remember MKD2 saying that he and MKW were told to play their characters as if they were The Wild Bunch.

I have to find a copy of that movie score, so I can play it over and over and over again next time I get drunk. I have a writing class tonight, and have to show up for work tomorrow (GODDAMIT), so it won't be anytime soon. But when I do, I'll let you know. Maybe some of you will join me in my rum or sake-soaked crying jag?
specifik

Postby specifik » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Wonderful, even heartening (not reached healing yet), Q & A with The King:

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2008/2 ... lkwilliams

Here's a lovely snippet:

AE: You mentioned Senator Obama saying that Omar was his favorite character? What went through your mind, how did you feel when you first heard he'd made that statement?

MKW: [laughs] The first word out of my mouth was, "Wow!" Maybe, "Oh, sh*t!" [laughs] It was humbling. I don't come from an entertainment background. My mom doesn't even watch The Wire, but every TV in her house in every room is on the presidential campaign. She's a huge— well, my whole family, all of us are huge supporters of Obama. The greatest joy was seeing the pride in my mom's eyes when she read that article. She was baffled. She was like, "How did your name seep into this?" [laughs] And I'm just like, "Okay!" It was a great feeling. I was very humbled just to be a part of something someone of his stature would enjoy. It was a good feeling.
specifik

Next

Return to The Wire: Discussion